The Bottom Line:
A toy xylophone that teaches you to play known children’s songs.
- Play your own compositions or listen to those on the auto-play list – Little ones can play their own compositions or listen to the xylophone play various, known children’s songs. In auto-play mode, the xylophone also highlights the keys to hit so that children can learn to play.
- Great user interface with the right amount of controls – This application is very well designed. All the controls you need are available on the top of the screen. You can surf the playlist, pause or stop a song, mute the sounds, change the tempo, and even change the color of the xylophone keys.
- Two octaves and multi-touch – Not only does this adorable toy xylophone have two octaves for you to play many songs, but it also has multi-touch support in case your little musician wants to get fancy and play more than one note at a time
- Cost – It’s free*!
- Room for improvement: Tutorial mode – It would be great if this application had a tutorial mode in which the highlighted key need to be hit before the next note is played. Changing the tempo can slow down songs, but it may still be too fast for your little one to catch on.
- Application crashes when returning from lock screen – This application doesn’t run under screen lock, which is especially frustrating when the screen suddenly locks during auto-play mode. The application attempts to resume after unlocking the screen, but it eventually crashes.
- Large international repertoire – The playlist contains 90 songs from over 15 countries, from Australia to Mexico. You can play classics such as “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” and “The Alphabet Song” or Christmas favorites such as “Frosty the Snowman,” “Silent Night,” and “Twelve Days of Christmas.”
WPParent Moments are dedicated to providing you with ideas on how to share this application with your child and promote parent and child bonding time.
In this section you will find the following activities:
- Baby – Sing and clap
- Toddlers – Find your child’s favorite song and perform it
- Pre-schooler – Teach the “Do-Re-Mi”
- Young Child – Teach your child about octaves
Select the right activity according to your child’s age.
Enjoy the moment and don’t forget to leave a comment once you experience a WPParent Moment.
Sing and clap
This application has a very nice collection of nursery rhymes. Select a song that your baby likes, and then sing along as the xylophone plays. You can introduce the concept of music tempo by clapping to a song to the song’s beat.
Find your child’s favorite song and perform it
Listen to all the songs in this application, and find the one your child likes most. Try to learn parts of the song, and then perform them for your child. We guarantee you’ll see a smile on his or her face.
Teach the “Do-Re-Mi”
Teach your child about notes while you play them. Say the name of the note you’re playing, and ask your child to repeat after you. Another great way to teach the musical scale is to sing the The Sound of Music song “Do-Re-Mi,” which you can select from the play list.
Here are the lyrics of the song.
Here is a video clip from the movie.
Teach your child about octaves
This application is perfect for teaching your child about octaves. Octave refers to the range of notes in between two of the same notes (e.g., C1 and C2); octaves all contain eight notes, but the pitches differ from one octave to another. Play the lower notes while saying its name; then repeat the exercise with the higher notes. Explain that the notes are the same but only the pitches are different. You can help your child understand the concept of pitches by comparing the way deep-voiced daddy talks with the way your higher-voiced child talks. We recommend reading this article about the C Scale and octaves in case you are not familiar with these concepts.
About This App:
Great to learn songs and kids love it, 5 stars!
Great app that keeps my son busy on plane rides. Next update should include ability to record your own playing and add to song list. Also, no heart & soul, chopsticks, or lean on me? Otherwise, wonderful!
2 year old – 99+ years old
(Note: This App installed in Game Hub.)
Toy xylophone is not only a fun instrument for kids and adults to play, but also a simple learning tool to learn how to play more than 80+ children and folk songs from all over the world!
Latest Updates v1.5:
- Support Windows Phone 7.5 Mango fast application switching - 6 more Christmas songs added for the coming holiday season! - Minor code adjustment for improving multi-touch response
- Multi-touch support. You can play it like a real instrument. - 90 children and folk sample songs from all over the world. - Two beautifully designed music keyboards, rainbow and wood styles, for you to choose from. - Tempo adjustment during song playing, so you can easily learn how to play the song. - Pause and mute function during song playing. You can easily follow the blink notes and play the full song!
If you like Toy Xylophone, please leave us a nice rating to help us create more great apps, and don’t forget to check out our other apps!
Our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/GanlokStudio
About this Review
Reviewed on: Nov 29th, 2011
Version Reviewed: 18.104.22.168
All the information in this review is accurate as of Nov 29th, 2011