The Bottom Line:
Help a hungry snake make its way around a plane to pick up fruits that appear at random positions.
- Two different looks – Choose between two distinct looks: Old and New. Select Old if you’re a fan of the classic arcade game’s pixelated look, or select New if you’re looking to play a classic snake game that features more color and detailed graphics.
- Sneak peeks in the background – Whether you’re on the main or settings screen, a preview of the game is displayed in the background. The preview reflects the current game settings, so you know exactly how the game will look and feel before you play or as you tweak any of the game settings.
- Fun sounds and integration of phone’s current theme – The sound effects are very cute, and the app adopts the background themes and accent colors you select for your phone.
- Cost – It’s free*!
- Desultory instructions in the Help section – The instructions are too short and not very cohesive. The instructions could be more descriptive and better written.
- Faulty leaderboard – The leaderboard is available for only 24 hours, and it’s not very user-friendly. Unlike its web counterpart, the leaderboard players can access using this app doesn’t organize the stats according to the players’ currently selected levels. Another thing that’s disabled when you’re viewing the leaderboard is the scroll function: you can see your username and ranking, but you can’t scroll up or down to see your previous rankings or many other players’ info on the leaderboard.
- Room for improvement: Additional levels with slower snake – The lowest speed setting may not be easy to handle for some people. Kids and total newbies who want to play the game would really benefit from the addition of new levels with slower snakes.
- We could not find anything ugly about this delightful app. If you discover something new or something that could be improved with this app, please leave a comment and we will consider adding it to this post.
- Bordered or borderless planes – Make the game as difficult or easy as you want: Two different wall settings, Beam and Normal, are available. In Normal, you lose the game if your snake collides with the border, and in Beam, your snake can freely go through any of the borders.
- Very responsive controls – Regardless of what some reviews say, I found the controls very responsive and easy to use, which is very important for this type of game.
About This App:
The best snake game yet. Controls are a cut above the rest. Bravo.
5 – 99 ++ years old
Snake 8 Free is the classic snake game but with innovative touch controls. No creepy small buttons. Choose from different speed and wallmode settings. Save your score online to compare your skills with other players worldwide.
- innovative touch system: control the snake at high speed
- daily online highscore
- four speed settings
- two wall settings (beam/crash)
- game color matches system accent color
highscore list also available at: networldfactory.com/snake
######## new in 1.3:
- crash bug fixed
- online highscore lists
new in 1.2:
- upload score, online ranking
- 2 different snake designs
About this Review
Reviewed on: April 23rd, 2012
Version Reviewed: 126.96.36.199
All the information in this review is accurate as of April 23rd, 2012