Long gone is the 1950s era of conformity and cookie-cutter products. Nowadays, individualization rules and people want to customize their gadgets.
The Bottom Line:
Live Tile shortcut maker with downloadable themes and Live Tile creation design tools.
- Complete selection of shortcuts – Have every possible shortcut on your Windows Phone device. Some of the available shortcuts include those for communicating with others (i.e., phone, email, and sms), taking pictures with your device (i.e., camera), viewing websites (i.e., web browsing), finding information online (i.e., search), downloading applications (i.e., marketplace), accessing the map (i.e., map), changing phone settings (e.g., configuring airplane mode and Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection), and even making Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or Windows Live status updates. You can also create dummy shortcuts to just display your favorite picture as a Live Tile.
- Excellent design tools for creating Live Tiles – Create one-of-a-kind Live Tiles with Wiztile’s design tools. Design the tile’s front and back with pictures (from your phone’s albums), a great selection of icons and a powerful color picker (with a slider and a color grabber) in just seconds!
- Excellent options for customizing the start screen with themes – Make your start screen come alive with two-, four-, six-, or eight-tile themes that look like big patchwork wallpapers on your device. This app gives you all the tools you need to create your own theme or you can simply download featured themes available in the app. Download popular character themes, such as Batman, Hello Kitty, Spider-Man, Blue Bear, and Little Twin Stars. If you don’t feel like customizing your Live Tiles, you can just download the themes online!
- No risk – Free trial available.
- Room for improvement: Option to share Live Tiles – Whether Live Tiles can even be shared is still a question for us at this point, but it would be great if there were an option to upload a user-created Live Tile so that others could also have it on their devices. The app can make very creative tiles that are just too nice to not be shared.
- Just a few simple things missing – Autocomplete and a comprehensive help section on how to upload and download themes are just a couple of features missing in this app.
- We could not find anything ugly about this delightful app. If you discover something new or something that could be improved with this app, please leave a comment and we will consider adding it to this post.
- Metro-design implementation – The developer really took advantage of the Metro design. Pivot Pages, Live Tile support, and an excellent overall design come together wonderfully to create a distinctly Windows Phone experience for the user.
- Shortcuts to contact numbers not saved to phone! – Create shortcuts for calling or texting numbers not included in your contacts list. Of all the shortcut apps reviewed on Windows Phone Parent so far, this is the only one allowing users to contact numbers not saved to their phones, and the ability really sets the app apart from all the rest.
About This App:
Awesome. Just remember to add a TASK to anything that you create
This app is not intended for children.
*NEW for Version 1.4*. 1. Cut up pictures into groups of tiles!. 2. Easily use your phone’s accent color as background color for your tiles.
This application lets you create custom tiles and apply themes to those tiles. Additionally, you are able to assign shortcuts to your custom tiles. What CAN’T this app do? It CAN’T make shortcuts to the Phone Hub, People Hub, Messaging Hub, or Email Hub. It CAN’T make shortcuts to other applications or games. It CAN’T make shortcuts to most of the phone settings. Why not? Because developers DON’T have access to those shortcuts. If and when developers are given more access to the phone, we will make ALL SHORTCUTS POSSIBLE.
On the other hand, this application CAN do many useful things:
1. Unlimited customization of tiles.
2. Color Picker enables you to make ANY colored tile.
3. Use icons or pictures from your picture gallery or the built-in themes.
4. Theme Support: Make your own themes and share with others. Download additional themes online.
5. Add tasks or shortcuts to any tile such as make a phone call, take a picture, compose emails, compose text messages, launch websites, configure wifi, configure bluetooth, configure airplane mode, configure cellular, share your status on twitter, facebook, linkedin, windows live, search the web, get directions, use maps, browse marketplace and more!
6. Live Tile Support: Add text information on the back tile and it will flip to reveal more details.
7. Storage Support: All tiles that you create can be saved, so you can pin them on/off the home screen.
8. Application works great in both dark and light themes.
9. More shortcuts, themes, and additional features are being added as you are reading this.
10. Try it for FREE! What else are you waiting for?
About this Review
Reviewed on: Aug 10th, 2012
Version Reviewed: 22.214.171.124
All the information in this review is accurate as of Aug 10th, 2012