The Bottom Line:
Customizable events calendar featuring Facebook integration, Live Tile support, and excellent Metro-design implementation.
- Great customization options – Choose which of the app’s features to turn on or off. Useful settings for displaying the countdown timer, and list of past events and even toggling between American and British English, among others, are very easy to enable or disable.
- All kinds of events to add – Set up any event in just a few steps. The app lists common occasions (i.e., birthday, wedding anniversary, name day, and death anniversary) as default categories, but it also includes the general category Other for unlisted events you may want to be reminded of.
- Facebook integration – Bring all your Facebook friend’s birthdays to the app. The process is quick and simple: just start the app then log in to Facebook; all birthday data is imported in no time. No manual entry required.
- Cost – It’s free*!
- Faulty hide function – The function for hiding specific categories of events, which allows you to view a filtered list of your events, does not work properly. Deselecting the Birthday category filters out all events, including the ones from other categories, such as Wedding Anniversary and Nameday.
- We could not find anything ugly about this delightful app. If you discover something new or something that could be improved with this app, please leave a comment and we will consider adding it to this post.
- Fully customizable Live Tiles – Create many unique Live Tiles for your events. This app’s Live Tiles have a wide range of modifiable attributes, both basic (i.e., name and title) and advanced (i.e., tile appearance and behavior). Showing a countdown timer or a contact’s picture and age in the Live Tiles, for example, is just one of the things this app can do. A preview of the Live Tiles is also available as they’re being customized.
- Outstanding Metro design – The developer took full advantage of the Metro design in making many settings and options available to users. Pivot Pages, Live Tiles support, and a variety of smart features are combined in a highly user-friendly and interactive package.
About This App:
This is app is not intended for children.
Birthdays Diary is a great app for browsing and managing your friends’ birthdays.
This app can read and display birthdays from your phone contacts and from your Facebook account. It also allows you to add custom birthdays and other anniversaries.
You can easily see birthdays coming soon or find the birthday of a particular friend.
Birthdays Diary features a nice, customizable live tile allowing you to peek at coming birthdays from your home screen.
Other features include: - add custom anniversaries - browse birthdays by month, week or day - see additional data, like age and zodiac sign - hide birthdays you are not interested in - greet your friends from within the app - Facebook integration
Simple. Useful. Elegant.
[New] Introduced a setting to disable category-based background color for the live tile
[Improved] Spell check is now enabled for Name and Description fields (when adding custom anniversary)
[Fixed] Minor Facebook integration issues were fixed
[Fixed] “Single birthday” mode for the live tile now works correctly
About this Review
Reviewed on: June 22rd, 2012
Version Reviewed: 184.108.40.206
All the information in this review is accurate as of June 22rd, 2012