The Bottom Line:
Customizable multisensory app for learning the alphabet.
- Four different options for different type of learners – Learn the alphabet through visual and audio matching, flashcards, or a memory game.
- Voice-over by a native English speaker – Despite what some reviews say, the app features a professionally recorded voice-over: the voice talent’s pronunciation is clear and the audio file itself is excellent.
- Hints enabled – In Visual Clue and Vocal Clue mode, incorrect selections activate a specific animation that highlights the correct answers, helping users avoid getting stuck at any point in their activity.
- Cost – It’s free*!
- Sound alert for incorrect selections – In Visual Clue, Vocal Clue and Memory Game mode, a loud sound alert plays whenever incorrect selections are made. It would be nicer if the sound alert were more subtle or at least less loud.
- Obtrusive pop-up messages – Random pop-up messages linking to developer’s Facebook page or other Marketplace apps often appear on screen. They can be highly distracting or frustrating to deal with for some users, especially very young children.
- Frequent crashes – Locking the screen while the app is running causes the app to crash. Crashes also tend to happen when the app’s voice recording feature is activated.
- Customizable voice-over – Replace the voice-over with a recording of your own voice. Bilingual parents can also create voice-overs in their native tongue! Please note that as far as we were able to tell, the default voice-over cannot be restored without deleting the app from your phone first and then downloading it again from the Marketplace. (Tip: Because the voice-over is looped, it’s advisable to include a pause when you record your own voice-over.)
- Multisensory approach to teaching the alphabet – The app is great for developing various important skills (listening, matching, etc.). It allows learners to use their sight, hearing, and touch to familiarize themselves with the alphabet.
About This App:
My 3 yo loves it
3 – 5 years old
New in 5.0
Better sounds and flash cards.
Learning alphabets can also be fun for kids!
New in 4.0 ** Memory Game using Alphabets. **
Updated for Mango..
Now with Scoring to make it more fun and competitive.
In the Visual Clue mode, alphabet images appear from A-Z with the alphabet to learn at the top. They select the matching alphabet from the selection grid to move forward to next alphabet.
In the Vocal Clue mode, alphabet sound is played (repeatedly) and they select the matching alphabet from the selection grid. Parents voice sounds better to them? The app lets you record your own voice to override the standard voice!!
It’s fun, give a try!
About this Review
Reviewed on: May 4th, 2012
Version Reviewed: 126.96.36.199
WPGirl: 5 year-old girl
All the information in this review is accurate as of May 4th, 2012